Situated next to the church of St Mary on Church Hill in Kidderminster (Ordnance Survey Reference: SO 830769) stands the two part War Memorial unveiled by the 9th Earl of Coventry, Lord-Lieutenant of Worcestershire, and dedicated by the Bishop of Worcester on 22nd October 1922.
The first part, a statue created by Alfred Drury (1856-1944) is around four metres high with a pedestal and base in Portland stone supporting a bronze representation of the Angel of Peace. While holding a child of the future in her left arm, the right arm raises an olive branch as an emblem of peace.
At the base of the pedestal lies a fallen soldier, being crowned by the kneeling figure of Immortality, with his widow and child standing at his feet with the gift of remembrance. An inscription reads:
In memory of the men of Kidderminster who gave their lives to the Great War 1914-1918.
The second part is a crescent shaped wall, designed by G H Goodwin and built by George Brown & Sons of Kidderminster, divided into panels containing the names of those who lost their lives as well as two quotations:
These died the noble death a man may die,
Fighting for God and Right and Liberty,
And such a death is Immortality.
So they passed over;
and all the trumpets sounded for them on the other side.
(from Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan)
Unveiled by the Mayor of Kidderminster on 2nd June 1950 were two new panels containing the names of the men and women who lost their lives in the Second World War.
Below is the ceremony to commemorate the return to glory after the recent completed refurbishment of the monuments.